A child’s first encounter with a dentist should be after the first primary tooth has erupted, when it is generally recommended to bring a child for a check-up.
A child’s first encounter with a dentist should be after the first primary tooth has erupted, when it is generally recommended to bring a child for a check-up. During the visit the parents are informed about children’s oral care, the importance of healthy diet, advised on toothpastes and toothbrushes, caries risk is evaluated and parents are advised on the frequency of check-ups at the dentist’s.
There’s a widespread myth that primary teeth aren’t treated, since they’ll fall out anyway, and they don’t have any roots and can’t cause pain. Part of it is true, they will fall out, but babies get their first teeth at around 6 months, and the last primary teeth fall out at around 12 years. Primary teeth are important for chewing, esthetics, jaw development and formation of correct bite (they hold the space for permanent teeth). Untreated primary teeth may cause pain, infection and even damage the permanent teeth that are in the jaw under the primary teeth.
Usually children are treated under local anesthesia; however, some children do not tolerate the treatment or are very anxious. In these cases, general anesthesia is performed and all necessary treatment is done in a single visit. It is a safe and modern treatment technique that does not cause stress for the child and allows the clinician to perform good treatment for the patient. 4 months after the treatment, patients are recommended to come in to the clinic for a check-up; this way the child will get used to the environment and will be more cooperative in the future.
What procedures does a pediatric dentist do? The main procedures are:
- Initial visit, getting accustomed to the treatment environment. The child gets to know the dental unit, pushes some buttons, sees how various equipment works, and plaque is cleaned using a brush;
- Professional tooth cleaning, oral hygiene instructions. These procedures are usually performed by the oral hygienist; however, children get attached to their doctor, and going to another specialist causes unnecessary stress. In this case the professional tooth cleaning is done by the pediatric dentist.;
- Treatment of decayed primary teeth. Primary tooth anatomy differs from that of permanent teeth, so they decay more quickly and the cavities reach the tooth pulp more quickly. The goal of pediatric dentistry is to notice the lesions as soon as possible and stop the disease progress using conservative (prophylactic) or operative (filling) measures. To make the time at the clinic less stressful, children can choose a movie they would like to watch, as well as the color of the filling (is the parents agree to treatment using colored fillings). At the end of the visit every cooperative child gets a small gift.;
- Primary tooth extraction. If indicated due to orthodontic or therapeutic reasons, both healthy and damaged primary teeth may be extracted. It is a short procedure (usually the extraction itself takes no more than 3 minutes) under local anesthesia; however, children often find it frightening. In this case, a type of general anesthesia is used to put the child to sleep and extract the tooth without them noticing;
- Standard metal crowns. When more than 2/3 of the tooth is damaged due to decay, metal crowns are used to restore such teeth. The crown covers the tooth and restores anatomy and function.;
Pediatric dentistry price list
The cost is determined during consultation and may be adjusted during treatment.
Prof. med.dr. V. Rutkūnas
Child's psychological preparation for treatment (20 min)
Treatment not performed due to lack of cooperation
Personal oral hygiene training using plaque dye
Plaque removal, oral hygiene instructions
Fluoridation (1 tooth)
Primary tooth filling
Primary tooth pulpotomy
Permanent tooth pulpotomy using MTA/Biodentine
50,00 – 80,00€
Primary tooth extraction
Mobile primary tooth extraction
Primary tooth root canal treatment
Primary tooth crown
Restoring a deciduous tooth with a zirconia crown
Other recommended treatments
The ProDentum clinic has a wide range of services and provides patients with the highest level of professionalism.
TFW protocol includes digital and analog technology used for everything from diagnostic imaging, implant planning to final restoration using special devices for measuring accuracy.
Implant placement using dynamic navigation
Dental implant placement is a surgical procedure where high precision is of greatest importance. Extra-precise dental implant positioning has a lower risk of complications, and occasionally allows us to avoid bone augmentation.
Often large scale tooth crown defects cannot be restored using fillings. In these cases, inlays, onlays or crowns may be used to restore damaged teeth.
ZEBRIS JMAoptic system
Prodentum Clinic is one of the most advanced clinics in the practice of applying the latest technologies in the treatment of patients.
Cosmetic bonding and cosmetic dentistry
It's a modern treatment method to restore damaged or unappealing front teeth. The goal of bonding is to restore a tooth so it blends with the adjacent teeth.
Treatment of worn teeth
Non-carious lesions, also called tooth wear, is another factor that influences the need for dental work.
If a tooth is severely damaged and there are no reasonable ways to restore it, such tooth must be extracted. A minimally injuring (atraumatic) tooth extraction allows for a smoother implant placement in the future.
In ProDentum clinic, root canal treatment is performed by highly qualified professionals using leading technology (digital radiology, microscopy and other measures) to achieve the highest quality root canal treatment.
Sinus lift surgery
During the maxillary sinus lift surgery, sinus mucosa is lifted, then protected using a special membrane, and the sinus floor is filled using bone substitute.
Professional tooth cleaning
During the procedure ultrasonic, manual and rotary instruments are used to clean mineralized plaque (calculus) and to polish tooth surfaces.
Digital smile design
It is great that today dentistry can use digital technology and visualization to provide an approximate image of the planned result.
Temporomandibular disorders are problems of the jaw joint and chewing muscles.
Tests and consultations
The goal of all consultations in the ProDentum clinic is to create the most detailed treatment plan which is acceptable in all aspects, taking in consideration patient's general health and the condition of the masticatory system, patient's complaints, financial ability and preferences.
Services for clients from abroad
ProDentum clinic specializes in modern digital technology to provide shorter treatment times, reduce the number of visits, and minimize patient discomfort, while achieving excellent treatment results.